Sunday, June 23, 2013

Guacamole is Always Immenent

Especially with veggies like these...I found these two beauties at Wegmans in State College and boy did they make for lucious GUAC!! 
 I usually don't buy into the "vine ripe" tomato marketing ploy, but these were by far the ripest, sexiest tomatoes I've seen in months. The plum, beefsteak, and sweet cherry tomatoes just could not measure up this time.
These avocados were little treasures among a bunch of unripe rocks. I'm sure I get awful gawks and stares as I grope every single avocado to find the absolute best in the bunch, but as it always goes, some are just too firm and the rest are so mushy I could plunge my thumb right through the skin. But these, they had just a slight mush factor, I thought, "Well, they may have some brown spots on the inside but I'll make due." Boy when I sliced these babies open did I look like a chef in J B Prince. How often does a vegetable make your day? Perfect creamy yellow to crayon green on the edge, and tender but firm enough to yield perfect avocado chunkage. It was for sure a lucky day for me in the produce department!

So now that I've teased you with my perfect produce and the picture above that is sure to tantalize any guacamole-lovers senses, I feel it is only the right thing to do to share the recipe:


"Sexy" Guacamole 
Tools: sharp knife, cutting board, spoon (not for mixing)
Ingredients
2-3 each
Ripe Avocados
1/2 cup
1/4 - 1/2 cup
1 tbsp
1 clove
Ripe Tomatoes, diced (don't have to be on the vine)
Red Onion, small dice
Shallot, minced
Garlic, minced
1 each
Lime, zest and juice
1 each
Jalapeno, small dice
3 tbsp
Cilantro, finely chopped
1 tsp
1/4 tsp
1/2 tsp 
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder, optional

1. Wash your hands really good :). 
2. Half and pit avocados, use tablespoon or metal kitchen spoon to scoop out the tasty flesh, chunking it as you go so that you don't have to break it up as much later.
3.       Place all ingredients in a medium bowl after you chop/dice as directed above.
4.     Combine with your hands until uniform and break up larger chunks of firmer avocado as desired. Sure you can use a spoon, but A)Spoons are not as fun, B) When someone gives you permission to play with your food, you should do it, no matter what your age, and C) Your hands have a great sense of touch to better seek out those avocado chunks and make them smaller. 
5. Either eat all of the yummy guacamole you just made, share it (if you're nice), or store it as shown below. 

Scoop the guacamole into the container, bang it on a hard surface to release air pockets. Then place plastic wrap right on top to protect your precious snack from air because air makes it brown and no one likes guac that looks like it should be going out rather than coming in. Yes, I went there! However, you should know that slight browning is from oxidation, it does not mean your guacamole has gone bad or that the brown part is spoiled, just stir in on in with the rest and you'll barely notice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment